Wednesday 15 June 2005

Sailing!


How could I forget - I actually took out a Laser last Saturday. I rigged it up according to the manual but of course the old hands running the place simply took it all apart and did it up again. We also met a car forummer there - his daughter sails every weekend. He lent me his gloves as well as a hand with rigging, launching and recovery - many thanks, Paul!

I was a little apprehensive at first but it all came back the moment the little boat set off. Practised several tacks, a few gybes (not fond of those) and had a fine time hiking out on the close-hauled points of sail. It wasn't a gusty day, and the sail was the smallest for the laser - a 4.7 sqm one, so I was never overpowered.

A pair of proper gloves are what I'll certainly need next, as well as a hat with a good-sized brim. Can't wait to go again.

No comments: