Friday 29 December 2006

"Isn't she the cutest baby in the world?"

Every day I say this to S about 3 or 4 times.

When Matthew was a baby, I asked my friends (at a party) if they didn't think he was the cutest baby in the world. No, really, objectively, didn't they think so? I'm not saying this as a proud parent but wasn't he evidently the cutest baby on earth?

My friends kind of looked at each other and then said well, there are cute babies and not-so-cute babies, and Matthew was definitely a cute one, but there's no such thing as the cutest baby in the world. I raised my eyebrows at this, but decided not to push the issue since they were all obviously hopeless.

Then Sarah was born and when she got to be about six months old or so, I thought SHE was the cutest baby in the world, even cuter than Matthew.

Today, I think that Sophie is way cuter than Sarah and Matthew ever were, even at the very epitome of their cuteness.

But all of this is not my fault. It's been scientifically proven (we saw this in a TV documentary) that when you're in love, the feel good receptors fire away, plus, the analytical/judgemental regions actually get suppressed! How cool is that?

So this is the only logical conclusion my brain is capable of arriving at, and it's got to be the only conceivable one, because how on EARTH can ANYONE possibly NOT think that she's the cutest baby in the world???

No comments: