Tuesday 28 August 2007

facebook

If you haven't heard by now (if so I beat you to it by one entire day, haha), this thing is monstrous. I don't think I have the capacity to meet the intense pressure I feel to actively say hi to each and everyone that keeps getting added to my list! AAARGH!

I know I know, it merely keeps the channels open without anyone having to actually do anything beyond confirming a "friend?" request. But when I see someone get added and I don't go and say hi, it feels like I've just walked past them in the street and purposely avoided making eye contact. Too strange. Too rude?

Even weirder to be browsing people's open photo albums or profiles or whatever. Sure, they've made it public but it's so like rifling through someone's belongings. Even if they've given permission, I can't help feeling like I'm taking a liberty.

Anyway. Another instance of technology affecting how people interact. If this connectedness keeps up I'm going to need to go someplace without internet and mobile access soon. Speaking of which, my annual 3-day silent retreat is coming up so that will be a good breather from all this instant accessibility! My mom's coming with me, but it's a silent retreat so I can be as untalkative as I like. That's a lot harder than it sounds!

1 comment:

me said...

Heh, I've been resisting the call to Facebook. Call it laziness! I have too many online distractions as it is.