Friday 23 February 2007

Fasting

It's Lent. We accompany Jesus on His 40-day sojourn in the desert preparing for His public ministry.

Last night, when I was tucking Matt into bed with the lights already off, he whispered to me, "Mommy, I'm fasting Thursday Colin McRae".

"Really?!"

"Really."

I was awestruck. Matt normally plays his favourite computer game every Tuesday and Thursday, clamouring for it the moment we get home from work. But this was not the only thing - earlier on he had told me he would give up watching Scooby Doo on Sunday mornings.

Later on Sean told me he had explained to Matt about prayer, fasting and alms giving. I thought Sean had suggested what Matt could offer up for Lent, but apparently he came up with them all by himself.

Sean then told him, "Matt, you realise that Lent is not just this week, it's six weeks all the way to Easter?"

"You mean Easter eggs?"

"Er... yes."

"Then when Easter comes, I can un-fast all the things I like?"

No comments: