Thursday 5 August 2010

Theotokos

While I was showering Sarah, we heard Rachel crying briefly for her milk as Sean was putting her to bed.

Sarah turned to me and said, "Mummy, Mother Mary never cried when she was a baby. My teacher said she was always very good. She was a very good girl and a very good baby."

"Yes, oh, I don't know if she NEVER cried, but yes she was always very good, she was already good even before she was born, when she was inside her mummy's tummy." I guessed Sarah's teacher must have been explaining the concept of the Immaculate Conception to her class.

"Hmm, not fair, how come she's so good!" Sarah went.

"Mary is Jesus' mummy, of course she should be good because Jesus is God and he's perfect goodness himself. She has to carry him inside and look after him and bring him up, that's why God chose her to be good."

Sarah commented, "So lucky that God chose her!"

"Yes, she is really blessed among women. We can try to be like her to love Jesus and bring other people closer to him."

Later that evening, after prayers, I asked the children what they would like to do well tomorrow.

They were all thinking and Sarah suddenly said, "Mary!"

"Mary?"

"Tomorrow I want to be a good girl like Mother Mary," she confirmed.

"That's a great idea, Sarah. OK so tomorrow you can try hard to be good girl like Mother Mary. Matthew, what about you, whom would you like to be like tomorrow?" I asked.

While Matthew was thinking hard, Sarah said, "Jesus!"

I said, "That's a good idea! Matt, what do you think? Do you want to try to be like Jesus tomorrow?"

Matt replied, with some concern, "Yes... but I don't really know how to tell parables..."

No comments: